This one will be short, because the day has exhausted me. Today, we searched for accommodations, which proved to be a long and humourous process. First, Cheratien and I met with a friend of hers who lived not to far from the school. Kim is a Vietnamese born American, who has lived in Vietnam for four years. This woman, Kim, has my dream job. She is an ex-teacher who organizes camps, school trips, team building excercises, and adventure sports outings. She was able to give us excellent advice about the city and the promise of connecting us up with some of the happenings around the city (swing dance nights at a downtown club, volunteer junkets outside of the city, etc.).
We spent the afternoon (touring with agents) looking for apartments. Most apartments come furnished, and often HILARIOUSLY. One highlight was an apartment with a faux sea shore cubby in the living room, large plastic ants and butterflies tacked up in numerous places, creepy cartoon frogs appliqued on the walls, a bathroom with a trellised ceiling laced with vines and dangling bunches of grapes, etc. Other special treats include cartoon tiger tile in the bathroom, tapestries of naked babies, and a pervasive mind green paint colour that really glowed in the florescent light.
After viewing some 20 odd apartments, we crashed back at the hotel, rather hungry and overwhelmed. Cheratien and I landed upon a place for dinner, and as we ate were visited by a very large rat on the ledge beside us. Although I would like to claim that I remained entirely calm, I cannot. I, instinctively, gave a yelp and recoiled in fear. The staff assured us that it was ok, "it was just a rat." PHEW. I had been worried that it was some other FOOT LONG RODENT. Ha! Things I will adjust to with time, I am sure.
The apartment hunt will continue on Friday.
Today, I received my class list. I have seven students in my Grade 9 homeroom. 2 are boys. 2 are Korean. Five are Vietnamese. The owner's son is in my class, increasing the pressure to perform.
On Saturday, we will be attending a gala-ish event with parents and staff: "The Founding Parents' Dinner."
Funny observation from today: dogs ride on the motorbikes standing up, with their paws on the handles.
Alright. Fatigue is setting in with full force.
Much love!
Wednesday, August 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment